Boon Tat Road stabbing: Sufferer’s spouse pleads for privateness

SINGAPORE — The aged man who allegedly knived his son-in-law to dying in broad daylight within the Central Enterprise District (CBD) was charged on Wednesday (July 12), and the grieving widow on the centre of the double tragedy pleaded for privateness for the household. 

Tan Nam Seng, 69, was charged with the homicide of Spencer Sanjay Tuppani Shamlal Tuppani, 38, on Monday at 1.22pm at a espresso store at 121 Telok Ayer Road. If convicted, Tan faces the dying penalty.

The lunchtime stabbing, which introduced the CBD to a standstill, had shocked passers-by and left workers and clients in a restaurant fearing for his or her security. 

Tuppani collapsed in a pool of blood outdoors A Poke Principle at 27 Boon Tat Road, which was lower than 100m away from the espresso store the place the assault allegedly befell. 

In keeping with witnesses, Tan was wielding a knife and warned folks to not assist the sufferer. “That’s my son-in-law, don’t assist him. Let him die,” Tan was mentioned to have instructed passers-by. 

Within the dock on Wednesday, Tan, who was in a pink polo tee shirt, gazed across the courtroom expressionlessly as proceedings had been happening. He was represented by lawyer Andy Chiok.

About 10 of Tan’s members of the family had been in courtroom, together with his daughter Tan Cheng Cheng, who’s the deceased’s spouse. Tan’s members of the family requested to see him as they had been fearful about his well being, however the request was not granted by the courts. 

In a press assertion issued by way of legal professionals appearing for the household, Ms Tan urged the media to not speculate in regards to the incident and let the police do their job.

“This can be a double tragedy for the household,” she mentioned. “We can not say something to you now. Please respect our privateness and don’t remain outdoors our dwelling.

“Our household has misplaced a beloved one and my beloved father is going through a critical cost. You can’t think about our immense grief, however please attempt to perceive and allow us to have some peace.”

Tuppani was an up-and-coming businessman who had risen to prominence after turning round port providers supplier TNS Ocean Strains, the place the accused and Ms Tan had been beforehand administrators.

In an interview with August Man in July 2014, Tuppani — who graduated from Lengthy Island College in New York in line with a profile on LinkedIn — associated how he offered off all the pieces he needed to reinvest in TNS Ocean Strains, which was on the point of chapter after the worldwide financial disaster in 2007.

Tuppani, who joined the corporate in 2003, mentioned he turned the corporate round in 18 months — rising its turnover from S$2 million to greater than S$100 million. 

Tuppani was considered one of 4 finalists for an Excellent Entrepreneur of the Yr award in 2014 given out by the Singapore Indian Chamber of Commerce and Trade and DBS Financial institution.

Final November, logistics firm GKE Company purchased over TNS Ocean Strains for S$9 million. Tuppani was the agency’s chief execuive officer earlier than he was killed. 

At Tuppani’s funeral wake, a person who recognized himself as Tuppani’s brother mentioned his household “simply desire a quiet funeral”, and declined additional remark. 

All through the day, not less than 100 members of the family and pals turned up on the wake held at Teochew Funeral Parlour.  

A buddy of Tuppani, who gave his title solely as Mr Lee, mentioned he knew the sufferer for about 5 years.

“We had been good pals and he preferred to inform jokes,” mentioned the 47-year-old who’s self-employed. 

He added that Tuppani was a religious Buddhist, and together with a number of different pals, they might go to Thailand to wish often.

Including that the final time he went on such journeys was about two years in the past, Mr Lee mentioned Tuppani and a few among the many group would journey to Thailand not less than 5 to 6 instances a yr. Tuppani would donate S$6,000 to S$7,000 every time to the temple when he went to Thailand, he added. 

A few of Tuppani’s pals mentioned the sufferer was having marital points, and had wished to divorce his spouse about three years in the past. Including that Tuppani had one little one from a earlier marriage, a buddy who declined to be named mentioned: “A bunch of us persuaded him to not divorce again then.” 

At about 6.30pm, Tuppani’s spouse arrived on the wake with their two daughters and one son aged between six and 10, and home helpers. 

Tan will seem in courtroom once more subsequent Wednesday. No plea was taken on Wednesday.

log in

reset password

Back to
log in